I (Bob) decided to try a different trail up Kramer, not to be defeated by the first attempt. So I started out at the same place but took the western trail past Stepbergalm, a hutte (climbing hut) through high pastures with cows and sheep grazing almost to the peak.
The narrow, rocky trail in the picture is typical of the trails in this area, near or above the tree line. Today's trail was much less hazardous than the one we took on Monday and had long steel cables for protection. I wore a climbing harnass with a sling and carabiner so was able to clip in to the cable.

I climbed the final ascent (left) and reached Kramer's peak (right) around 8:30 am (4 hours after starting at the trailhead). At this point I was not yet in the clouds.
Many of the mountain peaks have a cross at the top. This cross was huge--about 20 feet high--and had a bench and log book for hikers to sign in.
The clouds were rolling in so I soon began my descent. Because of the clouds Garmish is barely visible in the photo to the right.
I stopped at Stepbergalm for hot chocolate on the way down. Other hikers soon arrived at the alm and we discussed our hiking adventures.
The owners of the alm have cows and sheep that graze the high pastures. They sell the fresh milk and buttermilk at the alm. The word alm means alpine pasture but is also used synonymously for hutte--hiking hut.
From Stepbergalm I took a different trail back and passed by some interesting rock formations that reminded me of the dolomites (rock formations) in Italy. They had huge spires of very rough rock.
One of the couples I spoke to on the trail were from Hamburg. They needed directions so it was a good opportunity to practice my German.
No comments:
Post a Comment