Our hike to Die Stepbergalm (July 25 post) wasn't quite long or challenging enough for me (Bob) so the next day, our last day in Germany, I set off at 5:45 AM for a last hike, this time to Hoher (upper) Ziegspitz (5953 feet).
Because I was the first hiker on the trail that morning, I was able to see some Gamse (chamois). One of the Huttes we visited (July 6 post) was named Gamsehutte after these goat-like animals that live in the Alps. I was finally able to get a photo of one (above) near the trail and a herd of seven (below) later on. Gamse are rarely seen because they are very shy and avoid close proximity to humans.
Although Die Stepbergalm was officially closed that day for it's weekly Ruhetag (rest day) I was able to buy a cup of coffee anyway; so I guess am now seen as a "frequent flier."
The owner asked if I had seen their herd of sheep as that were missing. As Elizabeth and her daughter set out to find the sheep, they would be listening for the bells that every one of their sheep wears. Cow bells have a one-octave lower pitch than sheep bells so they would be able to recognize locations of their cows and sheep--as far as a mile away.
The owner asked if I had seen their herd of sheep as that were missing. As Elizabeth and her daughter set out to find the sheep, they would be listening for the bells that every one of their sheep wears. Cow bells have a one-octave lower pitch than sheep bells so they would be able to recognize locations of their cows and sheep--as far as a mile away.
When I reached the base of Hoher Ziegspitz, I looked back for a beautiful view of Die Stepbergalm (center of photo, left) with Kramerspitze (July 15 post) behind it.
Near the top of Hoher Ziegspitz, I discovered a tarn. An alpine tarn (right) is a small, natural pond found in high elevations. There are no fish in tarns but wild animals can drink from them.
No comments:
Post a Comment